SEO stands for “Search Engine Optimization”. SEO is a practice of getting organic or free traffic on the website through search engine results. It includes On-Page and Off-Page activities to increase search engine ranking.
Why SEO is important for our website or blog?
Now a days, SEO is must for every website and is a very vital part of Digital Marketing. It will improve visibility and search ability of the website in search engines. Let’s have a glance at some of the benefits.
- SEO increase the chance of getting higher ranking of the website on different search engines(Google, Yahoo, Bing).
- Very cost-effective comparing to AdWords and PPC.
- Builds trust and brand credibility.
- Targets the quality traffic.
- It gets more click than PPC.
- It provides better ROI.
There are three techniques of SEO.
- White Hat SEO Technique: White hat seo technique follow the search engine guidelines and compliant with their terms and conditions. If you want your website to be in good position in search engine result pages, follow this technique.
- Black Hat SEO Technique: Black hat seo technique is a practice which does not follow search engine guidelines. This include keyword stuffing, cloaking, duplicate content, paid links etc.
- Grey Hat SEO Technique: Grey hat seo technique is a combination of both white hat and black hat seo. Gray Hat SEO is neither too good or too bad for any website, however; most SEO experts use White Hat SEO techniques.
Types of SEO
Search Engine Optimization is of two types:
- On-Page Optimization: On-Page Optimization (AKA On-Page SEO) is the practice of optimizing the web pages in order to improve its position in search engines and get more organic traffic. The more web pages are optimized in a proper way, the more it gets rank in search engines. It gives a huge impact on page’s ability if it is optimized properly. Let’s look at some of the most used techniques of on-page optimization.
Techniques of On-Page Optimization
- Page Titles: A page title, which is also called as title tag is short description of a web page which is displayed at web browser and search engine result pages (SERP). It help the search engines to determine what your webpage is all about.
- Meta Descriptions: A meta description is the snippet of HTML code which describes the content of a web page. It should not be too long because search engines read only 155-160 words. Search engines show the meta description in search result when a user search for similar kind of keywords.
- Meta Tags: A meta tag is a tag which is not visible to the users and it is a part of web page’s head section. Meta tags are used in HTML documents and describes what the website is all about.
- Website Structure: Website structure is an important part of On-page SEO as it shows how the website has been set up. A good structure of a website helps web crawlers to crawl the website and index the content so that it shows in the search results.
- Content SEO: Content SEO is a vital part of SEO strategy. As we know “Content is king” so it is impossible to rank a website without a good content. It includes all aspects of structuring and writing good content on the website.
- URL Optimization: URL optimization is very important for the website. The URL should be short and have the keywords in it. We should use hyphens to separate the words in the URL.
- Keyword Density: Keyword density means the number of keywords appear on a webpage as a percentage of the total word count. For example if a keyword has been used three times in a 100 word text, it means the keyword density would be 3%. Using high keyword density is a sign of search engine spam and it will downgrade the website.
- Alt Tags: Alt Tag is an alternate text used for search engine to understand the images uploaded on the website. Since search engine bots cannot crawl and index the image so we need to put an alternate name for the image so that the search engine understand what the image is all about.
- Robots.txt: Robots.txt is a text file which is used to instruct the search engine crawlers, which pages of the website are allowed to be crawled or indexed. Before crawling or indexing the web pages on the website, the search engine crawlers will look at the robots.txt file for which pages they are instructed to crawl or index. If any website owner wants search engine to ignore any duplicate pages on the website, they can use robots.txt file.
- HTML Site Maps: With the use of HTML sitemap, the website becomes more user-friendly as a user can easily navigate the whole website. For example, if a user wants to see a specific page, he/she can make use of HTML sitemap to access that page easily.
- Internal Links: Internal links are the links that takes a user from one page to another page of the same domain. Internal links helps in decreasing bounce rate as users will spend more time on the website.
- External Links: External links are links which will send your readers to another website if any reader clicks on it. To get links into your website, you must add rich content.
Page Loading Speed: Page loading speed is an important factor in SEO. If a user comes to the website and find that page loading is taking a lot of time then they will close the site and move to another website from which bounce rate will increase.
- Off-Page Optimization: Off-Page Optimization (AKA Off-Page SEO) is the practice which is taken outside of the website in order to impact the ranking within search engine result pages (SERPs). In a nutshell, it is called link building.
Techniques of Off-Page Optimization
- Social Bookmarking
- Directory Submission
- Blog Commenting
- Forum Marketing
- Guest Blogging
- Social Media Engagement
- Article Sharing
I hope you must have liked this post, so please keep sharing it.